Thank you for using the Where's My Refund Application.
More than 90 percent of returns go through three stages of processing before a refund is approved.
This process typically takes less than three weeks after the electronic submittal date.
The process will be longer for taxpayers who filed paper returns.
Less than 10 percent of returns may require up to seven stages of processing to protect
your identity and refund from potential identity theft refund fraud. These additional
measures are implemented to protect your identity and ensure you receive the appropriate refund.
If your return requires the additional review, it will take longer to process - typically six weeks
for electronically filed returns and 12 weeks for paper returns.
As a reminder, due to the late passage of the budget, NCDOR is delayed in opening the NC tax season
to ensure accuracy in processing and taxpayer protection. Therefore, it is expected that it will be early April
before any refunds are issued.
Stage 1 - Return Received
• NCDOR has received your return.
Stage 2 - Processing and Validating Return Information
• NCDOR has initiated the return validation process.
Stage 3 - Return Under Initial Review
• Return is currently going through identity verification and refund fraud protection measures.
Stage 4 - Return Requires Enhanced Protection Measures
• Enhanced identity verification & refund fraud protection measures are required to ensure the security of your information.
Stage 5 - Return Requires Further Examination
• Return was identified for further examination.
Stage 6 - Refund Approved
• NCDOR has approved your refund and is working to issue it as soon as possible.
Stage 7 - Refund Issued
• NCDOR has issued your refund.
Enter the required information below to find out the stage and a more specific
status of your refund.
- The first social security number shown on the return
- The exact amount of refund shown on your return (D-400 Line 34)